Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Good Seed, Weeds, and Harvest

My practice is to maintain a routine schedule of prayerfully reading through the Bible and interacting with the Scripture. As I do so, I experience the Lord's ministering to me through the Holy Spirit. Sometimes I receive much needed encouragement; other times I receive instruction and wisdom concerning matters about which I am seeking answers and/or guidance. Often times I am convicted or even rebuked by the Spirit as I am confronted in the Word.

Recently I have been reading through the Gospel of Matthew. Each time I begin to read through Matthew I always look forward to the parables of Chapter 13. This past week I once again was enjoying reading these parables. My attention was arrested as I read "The Parable of the Weeds" in verses 24-30 and our Lord’s explanation of the parable in verses 36-43.

Most who are reading this remember the story. A farmer sowed good seed in his field, and he did so with the anticipation of a productive harvest. His success in raising a crop which would produce a good harvest was threatened when his enemy came and sowed bad seed in the field.

As I read this portion of the story, I was reminded of a conversation I once had with a wheat farmer. He explained that he had to be careful each year as he harvested his crop because there was a weed he called "cheat" that would grow in his wheat field along with his crop. He explained the problem was that the "cheat" (weed) would look just like the wheat until it was almost mature and ready for harvest. He also explained that he could not get rid of the "cheat" until harvest time because he would damage too much of his other crop to do so. He had to wait, and then when harvesting the wheat he had to be careful to sift out the "cheat" because he would destroy the integrity of the crop if it were allowed to be included with the wheat.

The dangers the farmer spoke of are represented in the parable told by our Lord. The first danger is that of the crop being destroyed by the weeds sowed by the enemy. We realize this danger and realize the weeds cannot be allowed in the final harvest. We therefore are often tempted to go and root them out of the field in some way—the second danger. Our Lord explains that if we were to make such an attempt, we would destroy the good crop while doing so. Our motives would be correct, but our self-reliant approach would be destructive.

This reminds me of those times when I have been guilty of falling prey to being the spiritual policeman for a congregation. I also am reminded of the destruction of churches and of many spiritual lives that have been compromised when the self-righteous of a congregation take it upon themselves to attack others because they have judged them to be weeds. Such people seem to have a sense of self importance and arrogance in their approach, which has more to do with their pride or agendas than it does with the holiness of God. Weeds can be destructive in more ways than just by contaminating the crop. They can be used by the enemy to tempt sincere people to wrong attitudes and actions which will be more destructive than contamination.

Weeds however cannot be allowed to be part of the harvest, or the harvest will be ruined. Here we find much instruction from our Lord concerning weeds. They are among us, but we must be guided by our Lord's wisdom in our relationship with them. First we must live as the good seeds—by honoring the ways and will of our Lord as we grow as citizens of the Kingdom of God. We must not allow ourselves to be tempted to hatred, resentment, or self-righteous behavior toward the weeds, but we must continue to trust our Lord. The harvest is the end of the age. The weeds may grow alongside the good wheat and may even look like wheat, but when the harvest comes (the end of the age) the weeds will be recognized for what they are and will be gathered out from among the children of the Kingdom and will be destroyed. How tragic for them. Perhaps if we remember the counsel of the Apostle Paul in Galatians 5:6 "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love," some of the weeds might become true wheat and be included in the harvest.

As I read this parable once again I am encouraged, instructed, and challenged. I am encouraged to know that the harvest does not depend on my being the spiritual policeman. I am instructed by my Lord in how to continue, even when it seems like some weeds are around me, and I am challenged to take account of the hope that is within me.

Every person born of the Spirit knows and recognizes the destructive nature of unrepented sin in one’s life. All too many churches understand how the spiritual power of the congregation is limited by sin. In the same way many churches have experienced the destruction and compromise of their witness by the manner in which they chose to deal with the weeds. So let us so abide that we can respond to the weeds [and even those who destroy others as they try to remove the weeds] out of the Lord’s counsel, out of our trust in the Lord, and out of the Lord’s love.