Thursday, May 20, 2010

Meekness

Two weeks ago I was asked to give a short explanation of why I understand the Lord's assignment for me at this time to be the under shepherd of IBC Munich. My reply was an honest but brief recounting of how my wife and I came to this unquestioned understanding. In the context of my reply I made a statement I have since come to regret. I stated I had to consider the life circumstances I was enjoying at the time as I was prayerfully considering the call back to Munich. I stated, "I was living the good life."

The "good life" was a reference to the fact that I was enjoying adequate and stable income; I was enjoying developing relationships; I was becoming more and more comfortable in the church we had joined; my job security was as reliable as it could be. In short, I was comfortable. We think of these as the characteristics of the "good life," but such thinking reflects the common values of a culture not conditioned by the ways and will of God. When we accept this definition of the "good life," it forms the foundation for our purpose and pusuits in life. We seek it by pursuing wealth or desiring to gain and assert power or influence in order to advance ourselves as we long for true happiness. More often than not we become self-centered, self-reliant, arrogant and consequently unhappy without even knowing it.

Our Lord Jesus Christ speaks a word in Matthew 5:5 which explodes this myth or mirage of our world. He declares wisdom which flows from the heart and nature of God as He says, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." Imagine inheriting the ability to live with a sense of fulfillment, of contentment with ourselves, and with an ever-increasing sense of love for others--to enjoy the beauty of this world as we experience the goodness of our Heavenly Father in Christ Jesus. It seems to me this concept of "inheriting the earth" brings a state of blessed joy and happiness which can be correctly defined as the "good life." Obviously standing between the words Blessed and the inherit the earth is the one character trait which enables one to experience "God's good life." It is meekness.

In both the Old and New Testaments meekness is always associated with quietness, gentleness, submission and humility. It has been defined by some as a quiet strength under the control of the Spirit. The study note in the ESV Study Bible describes the meek as "... those who do not assert themselves over others in order to further their own agendas in their own strength, but who will nonetheless inherit the earth because they trust in God to direct the outcome of events." Yet, another description of meekness is "the ability to live life with commitment to fulfilling the will of God as one lives in the ways of God and recieves His response with gratitude."

Meekness is a powerful life source, yet one cannot simply decide to be meek, for true meekness is bestowed by God in Christ Jesus by the Holy Spirit. Meekness is dependent upon one's faith in God, and one's faith in God will always result from an ever-increasing growth in one's understanding of the Heavenly Father's nature (His glory) as revealed by and in Christ Jesus.

To be blessed through meekness one must repent of unbelief and trust God for the forgiveness of unbelief based upon the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. To grow in this character trait of meekness one must continually seek knowledge of the very heart and nature of our Heavenly Father. Therefore, let us abide to live the true "good life."